Thursday, February 14, 2013

MODAL AUXILIARY VERBS-1




MODAL  ENGLISH AUXILIARIES

AUXILIARY

MEANING

EXAMPLES
DO – DOES

Simple Present
Do you speak English? Yes, I do.
Does he go to school? Yes, he does
She doesn’t like hamburgers.
I don’t study at night.
DID
Simple Past
Did they drive home? No, they don’t.
CAN
Ability
Polite question
Permission
I can sing very well.
Can you please help me?
You can go to the training today.
COULD
Past ability
Polite question
Permission
I couldn’t go to class yesterday.
Could you please help me?
Could I finish this tomorrow?
MAY
Possibility
Permission
Polite question
It may rain tomorrow.
May I leave the room?
May I help you?
MIGHT
Possibility
It might rain tomorrow.
MUST
Necessity
Probability
Obligation
You must go to the doctor.
It must be Hugo who’s knocking.
You must study everyday.
SHOULD
Advisability
Suggestion
Expectation
You should see a doctor.
Your sister shouldn’t leave school
He should return the e-mail soon.
WILL
Future happening
Polite question
My sister will meet us at the store
Will you please open the door?
SHALL
Suggestion
Shall I continue after lunch?
WOULD
Polite question
Condition
Desire
Refusal
Would you please open the door?
I would go with you if I could.
I would you can give a chance
I wouldn’t like you to work late.
BE ABLE TO
Ability
I wasn’t able to attend there.
BE GOING TO
Future happening
She is going to meet us at school
HAVE/HAS TO
Necessity
Obligation
She has to work to eat.
I have to study tonight.
HAD TO
Past necessity
I had to study last night too.
OUGHT TO
Advisability
Suggestion
Expectation
You ought to see a doctor.
Your sister ought to study well.
He ought to return the e-mail soon.
BE


Progressive tenses
I am living in Guatemala.
Is she writing the lesson?
We aren’t reading the book.
He wasn’t riding that horse.
Were they traveling to Miami?
HAD BETTER
Warning
He had better pay on time, or we will have to apply a penalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're free to comment on this blog.